Sprint 5 Retrospective

This past sprint was not quite as productive as we would have liked, although we did manage to start making great progress towards the end. In the beginning we ran into a tremendous amount of roadblocks. Between angular versioning, formatting errors, and more, we were really struggling to get off the ground in terms of productivity. It seemed as though, once one person had the local environment running on their machine, it broke for someone else. It wasn’t just a couple of us having issues, either. Each person in the group seemed to encounter some error at some point in time.

First, one of our members was struggling to build the angular environment at all. A fresh install of angular was required, which seemed to have fixed the issue. After that, I was facing some issues with something called polyfill.js, which was interfering with my ability to get my angular server running at all. Stack overflow wasn’t of much help because most of the issues I found posted were suggesting that I alter package-lock.json files, etc. These were all things that my teammates didn’t have to do in order to get the server running, so I figured that the solution was simpler than that. I was correct in my assumption once I remembered that AMPATH recommends that we run ng serve with the –prod tag as well. Upon doing this, the issue with pollyfill.js resolved and I could run the server perfectly fine.

Not only this, but we seemed to have many issues with git branching for whatever reason. We had previously played around with another group’s branch in order to confirm that we could get styling running at all on our local machines (which is how we realized we needed to ng serve in order to see styling). This ended up being a bit of an issue for a few of our team members, because they were seemingly unable to git checkout back into our branch — git was declaring that they didn’t have permission to join the branch again. In order to fix this, those members decided it was easiest if they just deleted the repository locally and recloned the project. Upon all of these changes, we were finally all caught up and able to ng serve nice and cleanly, without any big red errors.

Once we had fixed angular environment issues, we moved on to development and actually got some design happening. A big issue we were trying to conquer was that our angular form component using the material design “mat-form-field” module wasn’t displaying correctly. It was a standard HTML text field as opposed to the correct Angular Material styled one. Last sprint we discovered that we were being a bit silly with this and that we needed the angular server running for the text boxes to display correctly, but even still, our field component wasn’t functioning how we had anticipated. After playing with some other components (material design checkboxes, etc.) I realized that we foolishly hadn’t important the library for the material input field, which was nested within the form field. Due to this, it was completely un-styling our entire form field. After importing this correctly, it was (and has been) development game time.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s