Sprint 3 Retrospective

This past sprint was a good one, even if we didn’t manage to get a tremendous amount of actual development work done. We divvied work up amongst our different groups and had a lot of discussion regarding how to start our project and what approaches to take while doing so.

We got in contact with Gregory Schmidt, a development lead with the official AMPATH team. Mr. Schmidt provided us with a fantastically detailed outline for the rest of our project. It included an interactive wireframe built using zeplin.io as well as a series of videos describing the project plan and the objectives behind the wireframes. Originally we had intended to clone and develop components as branches on our forks from the original ng2-amrs project. However, once we realized we were essentially making our own small to supplement AMPATH’s, we restarted by making our own repository for a GitHub organization for the whole class. The organization is split up into the different development teams we’ve organized ourselves into as well. Inside of this organization is the repository we’re using now, which contains a small blank angular project, and we intend to use it in the upcoming sprint to build off of.

Not only did we figure out how to host the project we’re working on, but there was a lot of initial discussion regarding how to manage the progression of components during development. For example, we had originally intended to use Trello as a scrum-like “task board”. Although it was later decided that, since we can introduce issues into GitHub’s issue tracking board, we would use that. By using Github’s issue tracker, we can set up an issue for each component, and even have several issues per component for teams to adopt and develop. On top of this, we can more easily display to the class which teams are developing what components, and who is within each team. Having all of this data reside in one place streamlines the development process and makes it significantly easier to determine what has been finished and what needs to be worked on in the future.

Our professor has been doing a lot of work in trying to figure out what the development process will actually look like. The class was trying to discuss how we wanted to handle branching — I proposed the idea that we would have one branch per component being developed that would get merged into the final project once that component was completed. Come tomorrow in class, the professor will tell us exactly how we’re going to start the development, however he has already said that instead of one branch per component, we’re likely going to do one branch per user story. Then, of course, we can branch off of those into sub-branches if need be. I believe there was talk of also using GitHub’s Milestones functionality as “Epics”, which if I’m not mistaken are essentially larger, more broad issues to be completed. For example, if we need a page of our application that has both a menu and a search bar, there might be more than one component that goes into that. This page might be considered an “Epic”, because it would involve many stories being implemented at once. Having Epics would be really helpful to guide the overall development process, so implementing them as Milestones could potentially be very useful.

We’ll have more information regarding what we’re doing in the next sprint come tomorrow, and we’ll be starting some legitimate development this next sprint, which will be great. I’m excited to get started!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s